Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Nineteen Minutes


Well, I just finished another book that has me wanting to share with all of you my own rendition of a book report. With everything that is going on in my life right now, I have found some escape in books. Maybe I have taken some cues from Charlotte, but I am really enjoying myself.

Anyway, Nineteen Minutes, by Jodi Picoult was another recommendation by some friends. This is another one that I couldn't put down (once I found the time to sit and read). It is a novel about a small New Hampshire town that is rocked by an act of violence in its high school. The shooter, a "victim" of bullying. The victims, everyone else, from the children who died, to the teachers, the policemen, the parents of the children who died and this shooter. It was a great book that I would recommend to anyone. There is a trailer for this book and you can read an excerpt online at Jodi's website. It's a gripping story about something that is in the forefront of the minds of parents of teenagers and those of us who work in high schools across the country.

"In nineteen minutes you can mow the front lawn, color your hair, watch a third of a hockey game. In nineteen minutes you can bake muffins, get a tooth filled by a dentist, you can fold laundry for a family of five. In nineteen minutes you can stop the world..." or change it for everyone around you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

always looking for a good read!

Anonymous said...

I started the book. I'll let you know what I think. I love to read, but don't do it enough. So, I'm trying the strategy of doing something for myself to relax.